To apply for the Medical Cannabis Program, click on the application you need below.
- Medical Cannabis Patient Application
- Medical Cannabis Caregiver Application
- Medical Cannabis Personal Production Application
Each day, the Medical Cannabis Program receives hundreds of patient applications. The
Program has 30 days to approve a completed application from the date we receive it in
our office. While it is the patient’s responsibility to submit an application at least 30 days
before their card expires, the Program strongly encourages patients submit applications
60 days prior to their card expiring.
Here is how patients and providers can help to ensure a smooth approval process.
- Make sure required signatures are on the application, including from the patient and certifying practitioner.
- Include a current, valid copy of your New Mexico identification card or your New Mexico’s Driver’s License. Most of the incomplete applications received by the Program are due to missing or expired New Mexico identification cards or expired or missing NM Driver’s License cards.
- If your practitioner has indicated medical records are included with the application, please make sure you include them with your application.
- Please follow the checklist on the application to ensure all required information is submitted.
Any New Mexico practitioner with prescribing authority, including your primary care
provider, can sign the medical certification on the patient application.
The New Mexico Department of Health’s Medical Cannabis Program is not affiliated with
any third-party businesses that sign patient certifications or complete patient
applications. If you have paid a third party to complete your patient application, we
advise that you call them first to check when they mailed or delivered your application
to the Department of Health.